Luis Manuel Garcia-Mispireta, PhD
Educator, Researcher, Writer, Activist, Organizer, DJ
I party so you don't have to. Queer AF, post-migrant Canadian of Peruvian-Colombian ancestry. Multiple migrant (Toronto, Berlin, Chicago, Paris, Birmingham, Groningen). Ceviche specialist.Scholar, curator, and practitioner of popular electronic music, using practice-led ethnographic methods.
- PhD U Chicago 2011 (ethnomusicology)Gay affinity animal: capybara.
2023–24 BOOK TOUR
Together, Somehow: Music, Affect, and Intimacy on the Dancefloor (Duke UP, 2023)
• SEP 20–22: PITTSBURGH, PA (U Pittsburgh)
• OCT 7: CHICAGO, IL (SmartBar)
• OCT 24–27: DURHAM, NC (Duke U & U North Carolina Chapel Hill)
• NOV 5: MONTRÉAL, QC (American Studies Association)
• NOV 16: TORONTO, ON (StandardTime.to)
• NOV 20: TORONTO, ON (U Toronto)
• JAN 12: PRAGUE, CZ (Ankali)
• FEB 2: BERLIN, DE (CTM Festival)
• FEB 20: GRONINGEN, NL (Music Matters, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen)
• FEB 26–27: POMONA, CA (Cal Poly Pomona)
• FEB 28: RIVERSIDE, CA (UC Riverside)
• MAR 1: BERKELEY, CA (UC Berkeley)
…more to come!
Recent Work & Press
NEW BOOK August 2023: Together, Somehow: Music, Affect, and Intimacy on the Dancefloor. Monograph (single-author book). Duke University Press.
INTERVIEW about Together, Somehow, with Joshua Glazer for Billboard Magazine, Aug 10, 2023.
INTERVIEW about Together, Somehow, with Todd L. Burns for the Music Journalism Insider newsletter, Aug 7, 2023. (FREE TO READ only until August 21!)
AWARDS for Together, Somehow: Duke University Press Scholars of Color First Book Award; AMS 75 Publication Award for Young Scholars (American Musicological Society)
2023 NEW PROJECT: "From the Bottoms Up: Grassroots Organizing Among Queer Intersectional Rave Collectives", initial funding by AHRC Impact Acceleration Account (Press Release)
Ongoing publication: The Oxford Handbook of Electronic Dance Music. Co-edited with Robin James. Oxford University Press.
2021: Ethnography and Queer Intimacies on the Dance Floor with Luis-Manuel Garcia Interview by Will Robin for Sound Expertise Podcast.
2020: “Feeling the Vibe: Sound, Vibration, and Affective Attunement in Electronic Dance Music Scenes.” Ethnomusicology Forum. DOI: 10.1080/17411912.2020.1733434
2019: LMGM Ambient DJ set @ Room 4 Resistance, Berlin.
2019: LMGM Rave DJ set (closing) @ Room 4 Resistance, Berlin.
SEE BELOW FOR FULL CV